Reward your dog for any calmness around the cat. Provide your cat both something to hide under as well as a higher-up place to hang out. If he is unreachable, he is less likely to run away and trigger your dog’s chasing instinct. Teach your dog strong “Leave It” and “Come” commands.
How do I get my dog to stop bothering the cat?
You can often stop a dog from being aggressive towards cats with positive reinforcement and redirection training.
- Match Personalities. …
- Teach Basic Commands. …
- Redirect the Behavior. …
- Keep Your Pets Entertained and Busy. …
- Introduce Them All Over Again.
Why does my dog keep following the cat?
When a dog chases a cat, it is usually because they are following their instincts – particularly if your dog is a breed originally used for chasing or herding. … Dogs chase cats because they have a strong chase instinct and that movement can trigger this instinct.
How long does it take for a dog to get used to a cat?
Liz Palika noted that, in her experience, the “get acquainted” process usually takes two to three weeks. Dr. Landsberg noted that sometimes it’s not easy to tell by their interactions if a dog and cat are getting along or not.
How do I get my cat and dog to live together?
Quick Tricks for Dogs and Cats Living Together
- Introduce the pair after they’ve eaten and are both relaxed.
- Keep the dog on a leash and the cat on the other side of the room.
- Allow them to smell each other first. …
- Provide treats for both – You want them to associate treats with being with each other.
What dogs are bad with cats?
Top 20 Worst Dog Breeds For Cats:
- American Pit Bull Terrier.
- Scottish Deerhound.
- Bedlington Terrier.
- Shih Tzu.
Will my cat always hate my dog?
Though it’s certainly possible, and actually quite common, for cats and dogs to get along and even form friendships, some cats just want nothing to do with dogs. They may even turn hostile toward the friendliest and gentlest of pups, leaving you to wondering what to do.
How do you introduce a dog to an excited cat?
How to introduce a dog and cat
- Getting started. Make sure the cat has access to a dog-free sanctuary at all times. …
- Keep the pets separate at first. …
- Feed them on opposite sides of a closed door. …
- Teach basic commands. …
- Begin face-to-face meetings. …
- Repeat sessions daily. …
- Allow pets loose together. …
- Proceed with caution.
Why do dogs hate cats?
Dogs have a natural instinct to chase smaller animals that flee, an instinct common among cats. … After being scratched by a cat, some dogs can become fearful of cats.